Saturday, 17 April 2010

real live friend

It is about 16 months since I took the plunge and started writing my own blog and not just commenting on others. Just by chance I started on LiveJournal because that's where I most wanted to make comments at the time and it wasn't too long after I started that Lisa found my blog and asked to be a friend. As far as LiveJournal was concerned I was quite uninteresting to most readers and gathered no more than four friends. The average age on LiveJournal is quite low and my age is quite high so it's hardly surprising how things worked out there.


Lisa not only found me, she persuaded me to sign up to the chat and often spent time in the early hours of the morning together online. Yesterday I broke all the rules about meeting someone you've met online, trusted my instincts and invited Lisa to come and stay during one of her business trips north to Scotland. I woke to the News of a volcano erupting in Iceland and bringing the British airspace to a standstill, at first I thought it was a strange dream full of nonsense but soon realised I was awake. Part of our plan involved Lisa taking a colleague to the airport on the way to visit me and I had visions of them being stuck together and our meeting being cancelled.


Instead of getting on to make final preparations for the visit I wasted time watching the news and then thought I would quickly change the water filter to give us some sweeter tasting drinking water. With my recent lack of success with plumbing a died should not have gone looking at water pipes, one awkward joint needs re-soldering since it is slowly bleeding water into the Cabinet and causing damage! When I had just about tidied up this mess the phone rang, this was the first time I had ever heard Lisa's voice and she was telling me that because of the disruption plans have changed and she was now two or three hours ahead of schedule! Could she arrive early?


Silly question! It had been six months since this meeting had first been suggested t and now we could spend late afternoon together instead of just arriving in time for an evening meal. The stern dominatrix in her satnav brought her straight to the street where I live and since all the numbers are scattered at random the second phone call had me walk into the street and wave. Her car was quickly parked in the driveway and we greeted each other like long lost sisters, I was fairly sure I wasn't going to be murdered in my sleep!


A quick introduction to Julie and Lisa w was shown to her room where she was able to change out of work clothes and become her real self. It was a beautiful sunny day I and the late afternoon sun had warmed up the glass house conservatory so we three sat out there with a cup of tea and started to have real chat. Sometime after the tea had disappeared I found three glasses and a ready chilled bottle of Australian sparkling pink Shiraz wine, if we hadn't been relaxed before we certainly were now!


Julie had volunteered to do the cooking and rustled up a small feast starting with venison steaks which had been slowly marinating for 24 hours in red wine and Juniper berry marinade. I don't want to make you too jealous so I shall skip the rest of the details, with another bottle of red wine the conversation flowed late into the night.


With so much to talk about so many virtual friends in common we really needed a week together. The little time I had was especially interesting for me since this is the first live online contact I have made whilst Lisa has met several others too. We do have another meeting organised already almost 2 months to the day if only the planes take to the air again and fly Lisa and Lucy to meet me in the Mediterranean sunshine.


It was good for Julie to finally have someone else to talk to and the three-way conversation helped clarify a lot of things on her mind. Far too quickly our time together was over, I spent a few minutes with Lisa after breakfast out in the morning fresh air down by the harbour then almost like a scene from Brief Encounter we embraced and were then whisked apart as she headed off for her business meeting half an hour away.


There certainly has to go down as one of my most memorable days.

8 comments:

  1. This post brought a smile to my face, and a warm feeling in my heart! Lisa is a sweetheart of a girl, and you are too, Caroline! I'm so glad the two of you got a chance to share some personal time together. I know you Lisa and Lucy will have a great time together on the south coast of France.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always so interesting meeting with someone in person for the first time after lots of time chatting. I'm glad you had a good time and hope your next visit works out well too. Seems time with geographically distant friends always flies by though. I miss all my out of town friends so much, and every visit feels like its over in the blink of an eye. Still its pleasant though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you and Julie for a wonderful time.
    I am looking forward to seeing you both again in France.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't met another blogger yet in the flesh; It must have seemed strange at first. Glad you all had such a good time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anji,not a moments strangeness, it was as if we had known each other for ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I loved this post and how I so relate to it! Meeting other trans friends is such a joy for me and bloggers are the cream of the crop. And, it was Lisa, that sweet girl who always manages to file comments (as you do too, Caroline)!

    Honestly, I loved this post and wish I could have joined you three.

    Calie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been missing so much background! I'm not surprised that you and Lisa felt like you already knew each other. I met Jill (who has commented in your blog) last September, and there was no awkwardness at all. I bet that would be the case if I met any of the people who comment regularly. I get jealous that so many of you leave relatively near each other, or at least what we in the the west of North America would consider near. :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks to all who ever joined in the conversation and to those who took the time to follow my zig zag to a new life..

I can be contacted on the email found on my profile page.