Saturday, 11 September 2010

House guest

If I am a bit quiet for a while I could be lost in the change names paper chase which can now commence with the arrival of some certified copies of my deed poll. First question is where to get a passport application and worse an acceptable, to them and me photo!
We have a house guest keeping us entertained. Being a professor of design history he is overflowing with interesting stories. It was about fifteen years ago when we were sharing a Tuscan villa for a couple of weeks with him and his wife that the world first caught a glance of Caroline. For our last supper before departure the wife said she wanted us in fancy dress, where this idea came from I have no idea, so out of character and so not me! I was at a complete loss as to what to do right up to the literal last minute when I demanded a loan of the dress she had been talking about for three weeks but nobody had seen, amazingly she handed it over and I slipped into an orange skin tight lycra dress at a moment when my body had reached it’s high point of fitness.
I was met with a stunned silence! The beard added a touch of surrealism but I was clearly one hundred percent comfortable with this presentation and had never felt so alive. We had our meal then sat out on the terrace under the stars in perfect temperatures. I should have , like any good opera, died at the end of that evening, how could I ever reach this degree of happiness ever again.
Stupidly I handed that dress back instead of claiming it as my own. The real owner never did bring herself to wear it and passed it on to one of her sisters soon afterwards. Last night we were joined by friends for dinner and I was seen by our visitor in a skirt for the first time since that evening in Italy, now it has become just a normal part of life but has taken all that time to become so in public.
Sorry to say, there is no photographic evidence of that moment in lycra, they were so stunned nobody thought to record it so you are going to have to use your imagination.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to have seen the look on their faces, when you made your entrance in that orange dress! I'm sure the moment was priceless!

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a special dress. I wonder if she knew and wanted to give you the chance to wear something feminine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful evening! But you'll have happier moments when there's no more beard shadow. :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks to all who ever joined in the conversation and to those who took the time to follow my zig zag to a new life..

I can be contacted on the email found on my profile page.