Sunday, 20 March 2011

Ladies who lunch...


Humans are strange creatures, our lives can turn just on the meeting by one special person at the right time, or not! For no logical reason we can deny ourselves is simply attainable pleasure which others would take for granted daily that which we could deny ourselves stubbornly for our whole lives. Today I finally attained something only briefly tasted many decades ago, only humans could be this stupid!
I was in my early teens and new that a local girl could easily give me the pleasure which I so longed for, I knew she had granted several others already. We didn’t know each other too well and she will slightly haughty so it took some courage and a little time before I found the way to ask her and was more than a little surprised when she said yes. To say that I was more than a little disappointed when she called a halt after only a minute or so is an understatement, perhaps she saw the pleasure I was having. I knew it was going to be good but had no idea it would be that good! We parted and I don’t think we ever spoke again. For some reason I never met anybody who could quite facilitate the same experience and though I briefly tried to go out of my way to seek it I soon gave up and assumed I would never have a chance to prove that those initial feelings were as good as I remember. That is until today.
In this modern world you can meet people online and chat away and get to know each other more easily than a random face-to-face encounter in real life. Sometimes this virtual foreplay can lead to actual 4D encounters in real life and today I had one. Being older and more sophisticated we set up a date and met up and had a marvelous lunch in a highly recommended Thai restaurant. Being perverse we both chose something Japanese! Exquisite Bento boxes pleasing both the eye and the taste buds then the indulgence of a little desert. At this point we left to head to my place for coffee after a quick walk through the old town town.
This is all dull everyday stuff, people do it all day everyday but to us it was special.


Muscles and coordination are not quite the same as they were in my youth that the physical joy when it came I don’t have words to describe. How could I have denied myself this pleasure for my whole life? Thank you Louise.


It may be an antique of a bike and like me, past it’s prime, but it rides like that short ride I remembered from all those years ago, what joy and joy to come with my wonderful present. Once again thanks Louise.


10 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to see you having a great time doing normal things every other woman does. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's a couple of happy looking girls! So nice to hear you had a good time together!

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me until the end of your post to work out that you were talking about that girl all those years ago letting you ride her Moulton bicycle. An here and now another girl giving you a Moulton that you were denied in your youth brings life in a full circle. Yesterday was a really great day out for me but I can tell that the gift of the Moulton fulfilled a lifetime dream for you; enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've long had a wistful relationship with bikes. I didn't have one as a child, and only mounted my first - a bronze brown Raleigh - when aged 30. A bit late to acquire a non-wobbling technique! But I persevered, enjoying the unique pleasures of cycling like some exotic drug. I upgraded to a dark green Dawes. Then I attempted to commute on my bike, and had a couple of near-lethal experiences in the unforgiving London traffic. Those convinced me that I was playing with death and injury, and I gave up.

    I still think it's too dangerous to cycle anywhere on today's roads. So my preferred exercise is walking.

    I know I'm too carbound. But I feel I would be risking too much to get out on two wheels. Tempting the gods, so to speak. Even Fiona is basically a safety cage on wheels, bristling with devices to fend off injury. I'm a scared rabbit, aren't I?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cleverly done! :)

    If you're gonna have a bike, it's the bike to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you wrote this. Wish I had your talent. Not who done it but what is it. Have not seen such a bike ever. Enjoy your rides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to cycle everywhere but the roads have not changed much except for becoming a series of potholes to dodge whilst the traffic has increased several fold with drivers who have never cycled so have no idea how much space to leave, if any, for them to survive. Thankfully there are quite a few cycleways including one which I pestered our local councillor for which takes me directly to the heart of a city starting only a few hundred yards from my home. One day money was available for local projects and mu councillor put her hand up and had an old railway track paved over! A word in the right place!

    A little tlc and my new wee gem is going to leave my old bikes in the garage, no more bumpy rides for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I lived in Richmond, I had about an eight mile trip to work, so one summer, I thought it would be good exercise to ride my ten speed Miata to work and back. It was great for the few first days, but I had just assumed the weather would always be fine. A stupid assumption I know, but nevertheless, that's what I assumed. I was in for a rude awakening however, when one evening on the way home, I encountered a thunder storm. Not only was I afraid of being struck by lightning, but since my Miata had no fenders, the spinning tires slung greasy road grime up on me, leaving a greasy stripe up both my front and back sides! Needless to say, I never rode the bike to work again.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I like Japanese food it is blashpemy to chose that in a Thai restaurant!!!
    Shame on you.
    I sentence you to 4 our Fathers and 3 Hail Marys !!!
    Love the picture of you 2. You both look really happy.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got me wondering too. My mum had one of those.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks to all who ever joined in the conversation and to those who took the time to follow my zig zag to a new life..

I can be contacted on the email found on my profile page.