Sunday, 8 July 2012

250th post, meeting an old friend...




As I watch the rain lashing against the windows with summer showers, an inch today, I think back with fondness to my break in France in the warm sunshine. I guess by now you are fairly fed up with posts about my favourite beach so this will be the last one for a while.
It will be assumed that going to a naturist beach is about seeing and being seen because that is what you all do on the textile beaches, then have a swim and lie about on a soggy wet costume, euk! I usually go early or late on when most have left or are leaving, often I will be almost alone on my mile or so of sand, alone with my thoughts, sometimes with the sound of the sea lapping on the beach, sometimes with my stamp sized metallic pink iPod shuffle dangling round my neck like a necklace surprising me from the mainly poppy music I have on it for playing in the car. I have no idea how many tracks are stored on the device, it has just been plugged in to charge and does not show a detailed list, there are enough that it is usually an age before a track comes up for a second play. Progress along the beach is determined by what comes up, some tracks speed me up others reduce me to a snails pace others have me dancing along…
I have an interesting synesthesia, unlike a painter I knew who had a specific colour for each person she knew, I often have a physical place locked in association with a subject or individual, completely random and often quite illogical. A section of beach is associated with a friend who I first learned was seriously ill exactly a year ago from the time I was on the beach. There was no reason to think that we would ever be together on that beach, probably quite the opposite. We were of similar ages and had grown liking very much the same music. While nearing that section of beach one day a certain track lasting 13 minutes 39 seconds came on with some words which brought a few tears.




Hurrah I awake from yesterday
Alive but the war is here to stay
So my love Catherina and me
Decide to take our last walk
Through the noise to the sea
Not to die but to be re-born
Away from a life so battered and torn.…
As our feet find the sand
And the sea is strait ahead..
Strait ahead.....
Well its too bad 
That our friends 
Cant be with us today
Well thats too bad…

I walk the beach for about forty minutes each time I visit and get a little tearful the next time I go some days later as I remember the track which had played and as I approached the spot it came on again. Life is full of unexplained coincidences so I guess this is one such but it is hard to explain it happening again a few days later…
I never took music to the beach again, just my thoughts…
Where ever you are now Melissa, I hope it is as beautiful as that spot on the beach...


.

3 comments:

  1. How strange! It's funny but I also have an association thing with the people I know. A particular piece of music or a place will remind me of that person with whom I make the association and it's true that there is no logical reason for it! There is an advert on television for Lloyds Bank and the characters and the music bring to mind a dear friend and for this same friend I am reminded of her whenever I play music by Enya. My brothers and sisters spring to mind when I am in certain places or listening to particular songs. I have no idea why we make these associations but perhaps it's the brains way of making memories stick. They say the best way to remember things is by association so perhaps it isn't as strange as we may think.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what it says about me but I associate objects with people and places. For example the four mugs that I use every day I associate with you and Julie and an enjoyable and happy day spent in Perth. Yesterday one of the things I collected from home was an interesting little Stow Pottery cream jug that reminds me of a happy holiday in Drumbeg and makes me sad to realise that those holidays will never happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caroline x

    Only just got your comment on my blog. Would you be ok to email the info? My email address is emmavicky29@gmail.com.

    Thankyou loads x

    Love Em x x x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks to all who ever joined in the conversation and to those who took the time to follow my zig zag to a new life..

I can be contacted on the email found on my profile page.