Thursday, 20 September 2012

Autumn and garage doors...



Finally the wet cool summer is turning to the dry chill of autumn. Autumn crocuses are dotted round the garden and the chestnut tree leaves have stared to turn brown. All the maintenance jobs needing a spell of dry weather have to be prioritised and many left for next year with fingers crossed.

I had been making the garage tidy to get the van in with more than the couple of inches to spare! The first of the gales lashed against the door and puddles formed across the floor so I started wondering how to make it more weather proof. Out of the blue another blogger wrote about getting round to having a roller shutter, long stored, fitted to her garage by workmen discovered working in the neighbourhood. When the pictures of the finished job were posted my mind raced. Long ago I salvaged some sheets of corrugated steel used for packing roller shutters and faced the doors to the street with it with the corrugations running vertically, the remainder of the sheets had been used in the vegetable garden  to hold back compost heaps and to stop weeds growing on prepared ground. They are the perfect trap for slugs and snails who love the dark space underneath…

I made a comment on Shirley Anne’s post saying that I was going to try for the same effect but with a slightly reduced budget of £10. 


 Looks like I am the last person who will ever get a cordless drill...

The screws which I bought were £9.98 for a miserable packet of a hundred. I wanted pan head screws, preferably galvanised but as usual my desires are not mainstream so little choice and five times the price of countersunk! My only luck was it was 10% discount day for us old folk so here I am well under budget!


I have not been doing many jobs like this for a few years where ideally there is an extra pair of hands when needed. Takes a high degree of cunning to work out how to organise handling the material into place but I made it. I regret loosing the afternoon light from the windows but half of them were cracked and would have cost more than the screws to replace, modern obscured glass is far too sharp and bright compared to these hundred year old panes...


Shirley Anne wins on finish, two of my sheets were smooth and the other a textured plastic finish in a similar colour which has faded in the decade or so it has been used in the garden. Recyclers can’t be choosers… Tomorrow promises to be wet so if it comes from the south west I will find out if I need to do any more to hold the water at bay. Another dry day and I may even finish painting the wall!


Neighbours may think that we have won the lottery!

3 comments:

  1. Ah but you have made a splendid job of your door too Caroline especially at such a low budget! One thing I haven't figured out though is how your door opens now. Is it now a roller door or a lift-up panel? It obviously isn't a two-leaf door as before.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very close overlap joint facing away from prevailing winter winds still runs up the centre. Victorians were not so clever at right angles as people think so each edge had to be individually fitted, sparks flying everywhere like fireworks! Even broke a nail... Locked and unlocked from the inside as before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see it now, that's brilliant isn't it? Shame about the nail! Obviously then there must be another exit if the doors are locked from the inside.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks to all who ever joined in the conversation and to those who took the time to follow my zig zag to a new life..

I can be contacted on the email found on my profile page.