Friday, 9 November 2012

Childern...


I was quite young when it first dawned on me that I did not fit in with any of the norms of society and was most likely to spend my life alone. I had no idea how I was ever going to earn a living wage let alone one which would ever be able to feed myself and a cat let alone a child. The idea of bringing a child into this horrendous world was one I had dismissed early on too. The fact that I ever found someone to share my life with still fills me with amazement and thankfully we were in agreement about children. Our sisters and many friends did have children who we gave as much attention as they wanted, though what a joy to hand them back once they become bored or in need of servicing…

Half a lifetime ago Julie’s sister presented me with a little piglet on my birthday, well it looked like a little piglet! We had traveled to France to share in this event and to enjoy a French christmas with a superior choice of food stuffs available in Normandy. No christmas has ever come close even though we were cramped and camping in a dull rented block of apartments. Sophie did not join in our feast of oysters, boudin noir with fried apples, tournedos with artichoke hearts and foie gras, my first celeriac, the list is endless… She loves food now, well she runs front of house at the family restaurant which closed for the season on Monday, all their friends descended for a large party to empty the kitchen of all remaining food on Tuesday and she arrived here in Scotland at midnight last night to await her boyfriend for a three week tour of this cold country.

We drove to Edinburgh to meet her and deliver trip essentials like binoculars, picnic equipment, maps and satnav for when they get their hire car. I have had a vigorous workout keeping up with her as we scoured the town for plug adaptors, camera battery chargers which her brother just forgot to hand over, etc. I guess my time with her gives me some idea of what it might have been like to have had a child of my own though we are more like friends or even siblings and always have been. The “L” word is probably the one I should be using and we have great fun together…

Back at the flat where she is spending a couple of days Sophie rustled up a meal of the fattest cod I have ever eaten cooked to perfection. Guess we have to have something as good waiting when they visit at the end of their trip.

So much for a life alone...

3 comments:

  1. They say you never miss what you've never had and although I have two wonderful sons they can still be a pain in the proverbial sometimes even though they are adults now! I still love them though.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley Anne, you seem to have a fixation on your proverbial today...

    What is the point of sons? The world would be a better place if we had a cull of male children or we could do an exchange with those countries where the stupidly do not value their female children, we could become "Great" Britain again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life in all its forms can be a pain in the proverbial Caroline, it depends on how you handle it all. As for having sons, I wouldn't exchange them for the world. I do not think a world full of females is the answer to the world's problems. There are many good men out there just as there are many stupid women!

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks to all who ever joined in the conversation and to those who took the time to follow my zig zag to a new life..

I can be contacted on the email found on my profile page.